Sunday, September 03, 2006

Card Compatibility and Such

First, I will start with an announcement. From here on out, M3 products WILL NOT be officially supported. I will still put out compiles with the current (semi-working) 2.25 drivers, but I will not actively continue to fix them. I'm sorry it had to come to this, but I started DSOrganize as a fun little project, and with the constant stress on card compatibility, it is becoming a chore. I have tried numerous things, including using old beta drivers, and the newest drivers on the CVS. Even when I don't change the driver, compatibility changes per compile. So I repeat, I will NOT support ANY M3 device officially any longer. This includes the M3CF, M3SD, M3miniSD, and the G6, as well as any other new products that they spit out.

The second announcement goes out to card makers, as well as casual homebrewers. Card makers, PLEASE consider releasing official drivers in source form to the community. When you make a new card and claim it is compatible with homebrew, new users do not understand that drivers have to be written. The creators of homebrew take the heat because logically, if a card suports homebrew and a homebrew isn't working, it must be the programmer. Also, homebrewers PLEASE research what you are buying. I am more than happy to reply to a personal email on what I recommend to use with DSOrganize, and I'm sure most other homebrewers would be happy to do the same. There is also a perfectly usable FAQ and forums for you to find out other's successes with cards. If you have a product that is not supported by DSOrganize, please petition your card maker to put out official drivers. Asking me only does so much good, as I can only implement your card if there is a reliable driver. Asking chishm is only so good, as he would need to spend many hours reversing the card, and sometimes doesn't even have the card to test on.

As of right now, DSOrganize is tested working on GBAMP, NinjaDS, MK2 and MK3 (although NeoFlash products don't boot homebrew, they still work as storage when booted from a GBAMP). These are the only cards I own, thus the only cards I can guarantee the greatest success on. Reports state that EZ4 with read only support works, and SC CF, SC SD, and SCLite are all working, although I cannot guarantee it works to your satisfaction.

Also, before making bug reports, PLEASE be sure you are doing things correctly. For example, I got a ton of reports saying .ds.gba didn't boot on M3 and to please merge the homebrew databases so M3 could get .nds. I deleted all my work on the M3 database and merged it with the GBAMP database as so numerously requested, only to get a flood of reports saying that their M3 doesn't work with .nds. A recent conversation with someone has revealed the fact that .ds.gba booted by just pushing A TWICE. This will NOT be reversed, as I am not redoing all those packages, so in the future, please investigate to see if there is something you could be doing different.

I know that this sounds very rash, but I am starting to get tired of working on DSOrganize due to all the stress of keeping multiple releases and constantly trying to fix things not related to my code. I hope you all understand.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will donate $40 paypal if you continue updating for m3.. You don't need to update for every single version, why not every other, or every third update ?

Anonymous said...

Assuming everything is the same between a compile that works with the M3 and one that doesn't, you might try running memtest86 before going to bed and see if there are any errors reported when you get up. If that isn't the case the hopefully chishm can get a stable driver out soon.

Anonymous said...

You guys really are running these coders like slaves. Don't bitch and whine when your card isn't supported. A friendly bug report is much more effective.

I really hope that DragonMinded doesn't give up on DSO because of above problems. It's by far my favorite homebrew project to date. Keep it up.

Kevin said...

Well I am kinda disappointed, and if I had the funds to do so I would donate an M3 SD to DragonMinded, if it would help at all.

I keep my fingers crossed that future fat libs will improve compatibility.

Mrio said...

This sucks.

I'm a happy m3 sd lite card owner. If DSOrganise doesnt support it and is therefor unusable on my hardware, there would be nothing else than to part with this really fine #1 daily usable homebrew.

O btw, i noticed m3 change their firmware frequently. Does that mean every update would make a big chance of not running DSOrganize?

Irishcult said...

Have u ever thought about selling ur idea and code to a DS Development Company so ur product could become mainstream?

Email me irishcult@gmail.com

Cory said...

Dragonminded: M3 actually supports .nds files, you just have to run them with the "start" button instead of A. (it copies ndsloader.bin to memory and appends the file you are loading after that).

lol - I have dealt with plenty of people as well who didnt know how to use X product and though I should magically have answers (which were in the -cough- README) lol

Anonymous said...

Would you start supporting M3 again if future drivers made it less a pain in the butt?

czw said...

I already posted this on M3 Chinese offical forum.
http://www.gbalpha.com/gbamedia/bbs/dispbbs.asp?boardID=2&ID=9307&page=1

I ask them to release the source codes of fatlib.
But I don't know they will release or not.

Anonymous said...

Well it's understandable. M3 Team are the ones to blame by not releasing source code for the hard working people who make homebrew. Thanks for all you've done so far.

Payk said...

Hey Dragonminded.
I love your app. And í REALLY understand your acting. My game had fatlib a long time too. I always had to rebuild using the fatlib from SATA to support M3. But then it didnt worked for SC.
It wasnt fun to compile for those both each time. I changed the FS to Romdiscfs (from GPF) and now MK2/3,NinjaDS and GBAMP dont work.
They all dont have that 32MB build-in-ram. Now i will have to code a hybrid between KOS/FAT (means loading a closed FS from SD-CARD...like a rom)...That all isnt fun anymore. I understand you and your choice 100%. I will change my FS last time. Devices which doesnt work, wont work. Thats it. PPL will prefer devices which can load all homebrew stuff. And Flashcard creators will then make it better!
You did a great job and dont waste time with cards which doesnt work!

Anonymous said...

Whatever it takes to keep DSorganize a fun project for you. :)

Anonymous said...

"Whatever it takes to keep DSorganize a fun project for you. :)"

DITTO

Metal_Spirit said...

I understand your complaints...

But there is just one question. I have an M3 mini SD v2.0, that as you all know it was a problematic one, and since you started releasing the green version all is working fine, and i have no complaints.
So... What can i say to all of this?
From all the bad one thing emerges, is that if people complain is because they like your program a lot, so keep developing it, and release it as you are releasing it. I´ll keep using the green version, and if for some reason of of your releases doesn´t work, i´ll wait for the next one.

Anonymous said...

Hey man,

I just read your post about M3 on maxconsole.com. It says that you will not further support the cards.

My M3 has to come in soon, but I am looking forward to running Ndsorganize.

I just want to say that I am very exited about your product :) keep up the good work lad.

Maybe opening a pay-pal account will do wonders ;)

Rob_Threat said...

Thanks for all the hard work you've already done. Take it easy, I'm sure people would rather you kept going with limited support than stopping altogether. GBalpha/M3/G6 needs to be more open with their products. Maybe something will make them reconsider their tight grip on source & region/language locked fw. Who knows maybe they'll even update their pages more than once a quarter. :-)

Badam said...

my card makers have no way of recieving problems

Anonymous said...

the gbalpha(m3 productor) has its own "pda" dev plan, so it's unnecessary to continue developing on that plant

Ryan R. said...

the gbalpha(m3 productor) has its own "pda" dev plan, so it's unnecessary to continue developing on that plant

WTF? This horrid broken english is quite reminiscent of the back of the M3 box (and the M3 web site, and the M3 game manager). Probably someone from the M3 team working damage control. So, what is this mighty pda dev plan? I assume it includes continuing to release the PDA software only in Chinese and promising an English version that continues to be vaporware. Jerks. I bought an M3 because from what I had read I thought it was the best product available, but I regret that choice more and more with every story I hear about their broken promises and pitiful support for developers. I'm sure word of mouth (or of keyboard?) is life and death for fly-by-night operations like this one, and risking the good will of their users is a really great way to risk losing future customers.

aliquis said...

It's not harsh and noone shall complain if they haven't hired you as a programmer. And since they haven't and you do it on your free time they can just stfu and die.

I hope M3/G6 fixes this mess thought, I've bought the M3 since I learnt early in DS life that it was better than Neoflash and Supercard. Now it sucks to know that maybe I should have got the supercard or ninjads instead :(
I didn't know they used different drivers and stuff, I thought the where equal enough.

aliquis said...

anonymous: "I will donate $40 paypal if you continue updating for m3", the problem isn't that he doesn't want it to work and just ignores it because he think it's fun, the problem is M3 doesn't help him to make it possible for DSOrganize to work. Money doesn't help since they don't do magic (or well, if that guy chrism or whatever he was called are used to reverse engineer fat drivers/systems maybe donating a card and some money for him to do it if he's willing to would do the trick.)

aklesh3 said...

I have a M3 minisd flashcart with a 512 SD card that I would be happy to donate for the cause.